neworks at ada studio is calling for 3 works in total to be presented in 3 neworks events in 2024.
The dates are:
- Performances on March 15 & 16, 2024 (residency February 19 to March 14, 2024);
- Performances on June 28 & 29, 2024 (residency June 3 to 27, 2024);
- Performances on September 20 & 21, 2024 (residency August 26 to September 19, 2024).
The focus of this neworks series is pieces where accessibility is an integral part of the artistic concept. We are looking for works of all topics with a clear research question. They must include a specific idea of how forms of aesthetic accessibility can be part of the process. “The term ‘Aesthetics of Access’ describes a practice in the performing arts: accessibility is built into the art production from the beginning and with an artistic claim and not added afterwards” (Definition from Diversity Arts Culture).
We are interested in giving space to discover different ways of how means of accessibility can become part of artistic vocabulary. To support this focus of the residency, we want to connect each artistic team with a professional from the Berlin scene to exchange on the specific accessibility approach you imagine. Please mention in the application if you have a certain person in mind. If not, the curators are there to support finding these specialists.
We want to use this neworks series as an opportunity to learn together and from each other.
You are encouraged to apply with new works or works in progress. As the residency lasts only for four weeks, we can support artists and artist groups that want to develop a work out of research they have already started.
We are committed to presenting Berlin based “emerging” artists in need of more visibility. The applicants and their collaborators must be registered in Berlin AND must have a German tax number.
We explicitly welcome applications from disabled, deaf, chronically ill, queer and BIPoC artists.
ada studio offers:
- 4 weeks of rehearsal time in the studio; daily 10 am to 4 pm;
- Technical support and a technical rehearsal;
- A budget of 8.500 Euro for fees (only for fees; costs for costumes, objects etc. must be covered by the applicant(s)); please keep in mind the guidelines of minimum fee in Berlin: https://www.laft-berlin.de/honoraruntergrenze/
- A performance fee of 310 Euros per performer per show;
- Video Documentation;
- A review of the work by our “Studioschreiber” (studio writer);
- Artistic Dialogue and advice with curators Liisi Hint and Maria Ladopoulos;
- Artistic dialogue with disabled artists and/or dramaturges (their fee is provided by ada studio and is not subtracted from your budget).
If you are interested, we invite you to write a proposal for a dance work.
Please send an application (German or English; 1 pdf-file titled with the name of the applicant/s) to neworks.at.ada AT gmail.com which includes:
1. A short description of the proposed work (up to 800 words)
Concept and research question(s);
Who do you want to make this piece accessible for and how do you aim to do that?
2. Video from your research phase (vimeo or youtube; max. 10 min, if the video is longer, please mention, which part we should focus on).
3. Simple overview of the budget.
4. A short bio of everyone involved (up to 250 words each).
5. Links to your website or portfolio.
6. Your preferred dates. The more flexible you are, the better.
Please stick to our requests on word limits! Please do not send us anything via wetransfer or similar programs.
Blind and visually impaired artists can send us all information in an audio file.
When imagining the scale of your productions, please keep in mind that ada studio is a project space with limited technical and personal resources.
Please send the proposals until December 15, 2023. We will let you know the results by mid of January 2024.
If you have any questions please contact Liisi and Maria (neworks.at.ada AT gmail.com).
An info zoom will be held on December 4, 2023 at 8 pm (held in German and English spoken language). We’ll publish the zoom link on www.ada-studio.jimdofree.com