November 11-12, 2022 at Kunstraum Bethanien, Berlin
Moving Margins is an educational platform for dance practitioners and researchers to exchange and elaborate upon the possible encounters of a variety of dance histories. The project attempts to create a sustainable yet flexible network of situated knowledges around the shared interest in dance history and the desire to expand it beyond the dominant narrative.
The project was founded by Sasha Portyannikova and Nitsan Margaliot in 2020. They created the website platform touchingmargins.com that gathers diverse artistic perspectives through interviews, videos, scores, tools, and manuals on the notion of the „archive".
In this symposium, the Moving Margins community will share their collaborative research. Through lectures, discussions, workshops and movement practices it will explore multifaceted perspectives on archiving practices and what these mean in the broad field of dance. Contributors are Sabrina Huth, Jana Al Obeidyine, Tebandeke Joseph, Anna Chwialkowska, Ghost and John, Shady Emad, Kinga Szemessy, Sandra Noeth, Sasha Portyannikova and Nitsan Margaliot, amongst others.
In order to broaden the Moving Margins community, we are looking for two dance artists, researchers or anyone else interested in archiving practices in the broader field of dance/ movement/ embodied practices. They are invited to contribute to the symposium with a 25 minutes long workshop/ lecture/ talk/ practice. The presentation will be followed by a discussion (of additional 20 minutes).
To apply, please send the following information:
- a description of your research (max 1500 characters excl. space)
- a short bio (max 700 characters excl. space) incl. links to your work if possible
- a list of technical requirements for your presentation
to touchingmarginsnoSpam@gmail.com by 4th of October 2022.
- We offer remuneration of € 400 (no travel costs)
- The working language will be English
- We require active participation during the two days of the event as well as availability for rehearsals on Nov 10th
- Documentation, as well as additional material on the presentation, will be publicly available on touchingmargins.com
In collaboration with DEUTSCHES ZENTRUM DES INTERNATIONALEN THEATERINSTITUTS (ITI), Mediathek für Tanz und Theater. Moving Margins Chapter II is supported by the NATIONAL PERFORMANCE NETWORK - STEPPING OUT, funded by the Minister of State for Culture and Media within the framework of the initiative NEUSTART KULTUR. Assistance Program for Dance.