Reforming Berlins Funding System Performing Arts
Up until recently the support system for the performance arts has been regulated according to the “Allgemeinen Anweisung zur Förderung von privatrechtlich organisierten Theatern und Theater/Tanzgruppen“, valid until June 30, 2008. In November 2006, a process of discussion began over improvements in this system with an international symposium initiated by TanzRaumBerlin Network.
Following this symposium, a number of workgroups were formed from art practitioners and Berlin administrators, who developed and discussed comprehensive proposals for changes over a long period of time. The most important suggestions and demands resulting from these discussions are
- new support measures that make possible concerted support for the younger generation (Einstiegsförderung), allowing for repeated support (Wiederaufnahmeförderung) as well as connecting to support for production space (Produktionsraumförderung).
- modification of existing measures in the area of the Basisförderung (extension to three years), increasing support for travel costs, boosting funds for travel costs for guest performances, more inclusiveness for independent groups without performance venues in the concept support.
- simplification of the application process and settling of accounts
- establishment of juries of professionals
- an increase of around 1,5 Mio € in support funds for dance and theater
At the beginning of 2009, the new ‘Allgemeinen Anweisungen zur Förderung von privatrechtlich organisierten Theatern und Theater/Tanzgruppen’, valid until June 30, 2018, was agreed upon. In its new form, it took on the requested entry-level support, the support for the younger generation (Einstiegsförderung) a fundamental innovation. The partners of TanzRaumBerlin Network, ztb e.V. and Tanzbüro Berlin keep working on implementing the above mentions reforms for the next round of change of the “Allgemeine Anweisungen”.
Andrei Cucu & Yannis Mitsos
Forough Fami / Julia Rodríguez